Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Good Behavior

This being the latest pin-sweep, I've seen it nearly every day lately and I do, in fact, get it and understand the point it's making.  But there's an iggling in my brain that compels me to question the principle so I'll just put this out here, not for contention but for consideration.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it." (NLT) 

So actually, my behavior does not make me a better person.  My belief (in the right thing) does, in fact, make me better, make me well - it saves me, in fact.  My behavior should demonstrate that.

The book of James, chapter two, has much to say about the relationship between behavior and faith.  My behavior will perfect my belief, as James essentially puts it.  It's not that we're done once we've made the claim.  It's just that - I humbly submit - we should be careful not to develop a works-based faith through our good behavior.

No comments: